Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Getting started with blogging!--Things 3 and 4

LibraryI finally got my blog set up as part of Learn & Play @ CML. I just couldn't seem to find time to get it going. About a week ago, I decided to just make it happen. I look at Blogging as another opportunity for me to learn something new. After all, the Columbus Metropolitan Library promotes lifelong learning.

Who knows what the libraries of the future will have. After hearing Helene Blowers' 2007 presentation at CML, I became interested in social networking. I started reading some books about blogging, social networking and libraries. I really liked one book entitled Library 2.0. It is a very readable book that aptly explains social networking and libraries. I kept looking at the name Elizabeth Black, who was one of the contributors. When I read the brief bios of the contributors, I realized that this our own Beth Black, most recently of IT. According to her bio, Beth is now at OSU.

Some say technology is the future. I say technology is today. Sure, there will be new technological advances, but there is no doubt that technology is an integral part of today's library. It can come in the form of Internet, Office 2007, blogging, scanning on the RICOH copier, e-mail, Vocera, dedicated and shared computers, and so much more. No matter the format, I like learning about it, then incorporating what I've learned into my daily work routines.

It's 2:00 am and I blogging. I'd say that I'm becoming obsessed with this technology. I've read some blogs created by CML staff, as well as checking some with labels that interest me.

By the way, I have another blog--http://musical-librarian.blogspot.com. Check it out if you're into music.

No comments: