Monday, September 8, 2008

Readings on Library 2.0 and Web 2.0

Although I really like computers and technological stuff, the 'book librarian' in me still surfaces.

Today I added a book list to this blog. As I stated in my first post, I started reading about Library 2.0 and Web 2.0 a few months ago. The books I listed have been very helpful in providing general information. Blogging and RSS: A Librarian's Guide is the one I'm more into now. Why? I'm glad you asked that question.

I was getting very confused with RSS feeds, bloglines, and newsreads. I kept reading the help sections of blogger.com, but it wasn't quite doing it. I realize that the main reason was that I couldn't easily get back and forth from my blog screen to the help screens. I didn't want to contribute to destroying the environment by unnecessarily printing off a lot of information ( all of which I'd discard after learning the process), so what could I do? As I held my head in my hands and released a sigh, I had an AHA! moment. It is in situations such as this when a book is most helpful. I can keep the screen up and move from page to page in the book.

We may now have answered the question about whether books will soon be obselete. My unofficial, raw guess is that it won't happen for some time. Some of us will still need something to physically hold on to, to write in (not the library books, of course), or to quickly consult (don't have to wait for it to power up, log in, etc.).

But let's go back to my first statement. I like computers and technology. I'm having a great time learning about Library 2.0, Web 2.0, blogging and all that comes with it. But my recent AHA! moment, reminded me that I am comfortable in both environments. Is that great or what!?!?

No comments: